Since I didn’t do anything but nap and exercise after work yesterday, I thought I’d share an article with you that is troubling to me. Huffington Post is often a great source for news, however the lifestyle section tend to trouble me. I came across this headline that was basically screaming at me to read it. With my 28th birthday just 2 weeks away, how can I not read a story that says, “Turning 30: 30 Things Every Woman Should Have and Know”?
Well I have 2 years to obtain and learn just about everything on this list. Here is the list in full with my responses to each one.
By 30, you should have …
1. One old boyfriend you can imagine going back to and one who reminds you of how far you’ve come.
not so much
2. A decent piece of furniture not previously owned by anyone else in your family.
actually I have this!
3. Something perfect to wear if the employer or man of your dreams wants to see you in an hour.
4. A purse, a suitcase, and an umbrella you’re not ashamed to be seen carrying.
5. A youth you’re content to move beyond.
6. A past juicy enough that you’re looking forward to retelling it in your old age.
7. The realization that you are actually going to have an old age — and some money set aside to help fund it.
is this what people mean by “saving”?
8. An email address, a voice mailbox, and a bank account — all of which nobody has access to but you.
I’m an adult!
9. A résumé that is not even the slightest bit padded.
no resume currently:)
10. One friend who always makes you laugh and one who lets you cry.
yes and she’s the same one for both
11. A set of screwdrivers, a cordless drill, and a black lace bra.
the bra is red and uncomfortable but i got the dude tools.
12. Something ridiculously expensive that you bought for yourself, just because you deserve it.
is it a problem if i do this as often as possible?
13. The belief that you deserve it.
definitely don’t have this.
14. A skin-care regimen, an exercise routine, and a plan for dealing with those few other facets of life that don’t get better after 30.
anything pertaining to physical health i actually have down
15. A solid start on a satisfying career, a satisfying relationship, and all those other facets of life that do get better.
definitely not sure about this one.
By 30, you should know …
1. How to fall in love without losing yourself.
2. How you feel about having kids.
Used to know without a doubt I want. Now all I know is , I’m definitely NOT ready and not even totally sure.
3. How to quit a job, break up with a man, and confront a friend without ruining the friendship.
4. When to try harder and when to walk away.
Think I’m getting closer to knowing this one.
5. How to kiss in a way that communicates perfectly what you would and wouldn’t like to happen next.
Not into kissing. Too intimate.
6. The names of the secretary of state, your great-grandmothers, and the best tailor in town.
Only the tailor and my one gg who used to escape naked from the nursing home.
7. How to live alone, even if you don’t like to.
Yes, the thing I am best at is being alone. That doesn’t mean I’m happy about it.
8. Where to go — be it your best friend’s kitchen table or a yoga mat — when your soul needs soothing.
Is a pill bottle a solution?
9. That you can’t change the length of your legs, the width of your hips, or the nature of your parents.
Haven’t come to grips with this yet.
10. That your childhood may not have been perfect, but it’s over.
Haven’t gotten over this.
11. What you would and wouldn’t do for money or love.
12. That nobody gets away with smoking, drinking, doing drugs, or not flossing for very long.
Don’t believe this one.
13. Who you can trust, who you can’t, and why you shouldn’t take it personally.
How is one supposed to learn not to take things personally?
14. Not to apologize for something that isn’t your fault.
15. Why they say life begins at 30.
My life has actually felt real and like is started many years ago. Are we sure they don’t mean life gets better at 30?
Clearly, I have some serious work to do in the next 2 years. Don’t people freak out about 30 anyways? Is it necessary to make us feel worse about it? I wasn’t even that bothered by the 30 number, though it IS quickly approaching. I have always hoped life would get easier and clearer.