My Mama’s Macaroni & Cheese and Peppered Corn recipes will go great with Kidd’s Famous Brown Bag Turkey recipe.
My Mama’s Macaroni and Cheese
* (1) 16 oz. package of macaroni noodles, cooked in salt water
* At least a pound of medium cheddar cheese
* About half a pound of muenster
* 1 pint of heavy whipping cream
* 3 eggs, beaten up in the whipping cream
* About 1/2 stick of butter (not margarine!)
Boil the macaroni until tender. Taste it and if it’s too salty, just rinse the noodles under running water in a colander.
Melt a couple of tablespoons of butter in the bottom of a large casserole dish, and then cover the bottom with one layer of macaroni. Layer with slices of cheddar and muenster and then add a few pats of butter on top. Add another layer of noodles, more cheese, and a few more pats of butter. Mix the eggs in the whipping cream and pour it over the entire casserole. Dot with any additional butter on top.
Bake at 375 for about 20-25 minutes. Check to see if it’s done by sliding the back of a spoon down one side of the casserole. It should be congealed, not runny. If it’s still runny, continue to bake it and check every 5 minutes until you get that custardy consistency. Serve it hot because it’s not nearly as good if you let the cheese cool too much.
* I like to cover the casserole and cook it in the microwave on high for 10 minutes. Then I uncover it and transfer it to the oven, baking it at 375 for about 20 minutes. Still check to see if it’s done, and if it’s not, keep checking on it every 5 minutes until it’s not runny.
My Mama’s Peppered Corn (Serve as a side dish or a dip.)
1 8 oz. package of cream cheese, cubed
1/3 cup butter
3 small cans of Mexicorn or 2 big ones, drained
2-4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced. But if you want it to be milder, use a small can of diced greed chilis instead
1/3 – 1/2 diced red bell pepper, if you want to add some more color (I think you should.)
In a saucepan over low heat, cook and stir the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Stir in the corn, jalapenos (or chilis), and red bell pepper (if you added them). Pour into an ungreased casserole and bake, uncovered, at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until bubbly.