ABC Pulls Backstreet Boys Holiday Special

Drake surpasses Eminem… Patty Jenkins quit… Harry Styles stage crew were hijacked… Sam Asghari speaks out… and ABC pulls Backstreet Boys holiday special

Listen to “Showbiz – Dec 9, 2022” on Spreaker.

 

The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) has named Drake the highest-selling singles artist in its history. That title has been held since March by Eminem, who at the time had sold almost 166M singles. Drake now holds the top spot with a staggering 184M singles sold. To achieve Diamond status, an artist has to sell more than 10M singles. Drake has done that with five of his singles — “Hotline Bling,” “One Dance,” “God’s Plan,” “SICKO MODE” with Travis Scott, and “Life Is Good” with Future. For Platinum status, an artist has to sell 15M singles, and Drake’s 2018 single “God’s Plan” is now 15x-platinum.

Patty Jenkins wants us to know she wasn’t fired, she quit! Or something like that. The day after Gal Gadot posted that she was looking forward to sharing the next chapter of “Wonder Woman” with us, we got the news that new Warner Bros. bosses James Gunn and Peter Safran decided “Wonder Woman 3” wasn’t part of their plan. But a source told “The Wrap” that there’s a little more to it than that. After directing the first two “Wonder Woman” movies, Patty turned in her treatment for the third one last week. She reportedly got back a lot of notes telling her to basically go back to the drawing board and come back with an entirely different presentation. The source told The Wrap that Patty “let them know that they were wrong, that they didn’t understand her, didn’t understand the character, didn’t understand character arcs and didn’t understand what she was trying to do.” And that’s when she walked away.

A crew on tour with Harry Styles was hijacked by armed robbers on a highway in Brazil that’s nicknamed the “Highway to Hell” because of the widespread trafficking of children along that route. Authorities say three armed gunmen targeted this van, which was carrying tour merch for Harry’s “Love on Tour.” They forced the driver to pull over, subdued him, and then took off in the van, which still hasn’t been recovered. Harry played in Rio de Janeiro last night. His next show is Saturday in Curitiba.

After taking an Instagram break for a couple days, Britney Spears has reactivated her account. Everything looks just like it did before she shut it down. Sam Asghari posted a statement on his IG Story to explain, “Social media can be traumatizing. Sometimes it’s good to take a break. She has her voice and is a free woman. I have respect for her privacy and I protect it at all times.” Sam also said he never posts Britney on his account without her permission. When he was asked why Britney doesn’t join him for his red carpet appearances, Sam said if would be his “honor” if she would, but he understands those appearances just aren’t fun for her, saying, “They’re hectic and full of stress.” And he also thanked Britney’s fans for being supportive and protective of Britney.

ABC has pulled the Backstreet Boys’ special “A Very Backstreet Holiday” from its schedule next Wednesday after a woman held a press conference yesterday to announce she is suing Nick Carter for sexual assault. The now 39-year-old Shay Ruth claims that back in 2001, when she was 17 and Nick was 21, she went to a BSB concert in Tacoma, Washington. After the show, she claims Nick plucked her from a group of autograph seekers and invited her on his tour bus. That’s when he gave her a red drink she later realized was cranberry juice and alcohol and then assaulted her. Shay claims that while she was begging Nick to stop, he told her this would be their “special secret.” But then he started threatening her and made her believe if she said anything that SHE would be arrested. Shay said she was a virgin when this happened and claimed Nick gave her HPV. In her court documents, Shay states, “Even though I’m autistic and live with cerebral palsy, I believe nothing has affected me more…than what Nick Carter did to me.” Nick’s attorney released a statement saying Shay’s claims are “not only legally meritless but also entirely untrue.” He believes Shay “has been manipulated into making false allegations about Nick, adding that her allegations have changed “repeatedly and materially over time.” He also said the press conference yesterday was nothing but a “stunt orchestrated by an opportunistic lawyer.”

 

See all Showbiz Top 5 stories